Okay, so I haven’t quite gotten to a full blog this week. So instead, I’m posting a new background I’ve written for my upcoming D&D 5E campaign. This background is aimed at a younger character than the backgrounds in the Player’s Handbook generally are (as is my campaign).
I hope you find it useful.
You have spent the last couple of years apprenticed to a skilled artisan. They have been teaching you their trade so that you too can make a living by crafting things for other to use. However something has interrupted your apprenticeship and now you find yourself on a road toward a new life.
Skill Proficiencies: Athletics, Perception
Tool Proficiencies: One type of artisan’s tools, vehicles (land)
Equipment: A set of artisan’s tools (one of your choice), a work apron, a set of common clothes, a candle, a sack, and a belt pouch containing 5 gp.
The types of apprenticeships available to young people are varied. Choose the trade that you were learning or roll on the table below.
- Leather worker
Feature: Work for Your Keep
You are a practical sort of person and you’re good with your hands. You can usually find something you can do to help people out in exchange for a roof over your head for the night. Depending on the help you can provide, this may extend to your companions.
You’ve been working in a trade which demands focus and hard work. You generally get along well with your fellow commoners and those in higher social classes will usually trust your simple manner and honest ways.
d8 Personality Trait
- I’ve been trained to keep my head down and speak when spoken to.
- I’m driven by the desire to produce a perfect work.
- I’m used to doing the dirty jobs that need to be done.
- I can work all day without losing focus.
- I’m still not sure what I want to do with my life.
- I feel the need to be secure in my life.
- I enjoy being useful to the people around me.
- I like tinkering with things and finding out how they work.
- Fairness. A fair price for fair work.(Lawful)
- Betterment. My work should improve the community I live in.(Good)
- Freedom. People should be free to choose their own path in life.(Chaoitic)
- Structure. Everyone has their own place in society. (Lawful)
- Self-Improvement. People should always strive to improve themselves. (Any)
- Excellence. Perfection is the only thing people should be aiming for. (Neutral)
- My master has given me the skills to survive in life. I owe him my unending loyalty.
- I need to support my family.
- My hammer is my most important possession.
- I will always support my community.
- A fellow apprentice covered for me when I made a mistake. I owe them for that.
- I have a friend or sibling who believed in me, even when I didn’t.
- I still don’t believe I’m worthy of a better life.
- I’ll cut corners to get things done on time.
- I caused an accident and somebody died.
- Sometimes I get flustered if I have to think for myself.
- If I can get away with not doing something, I will
- I’m extremely shy and will avoid talking to new people.